We often don’t “feel” our own vulnerability due to the defensive and denial power of the ego; however, dreams show us when we are vulnerable and this can be a great aid in spiritual development and in generally taking care of ourselves.
The Franciscan friar and spiritual writer, Richard Rohr, states in a very insightful book I heartily recommend, Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self, that vulnerability “…may be the only start for any true spiritual journey.” Noticing when we are vulnerable and how our dreams portray this state can significantly help us become aware of how vulnerability affects us individually. Dreams can often also gives us clues on how to do deal with this state, all of which will contribute much to our spiritual growth and well-being. Dealing with a vulnerability dream may be the first step to living a deeply spiritual life that is is marked by a profound sense of inner strength and well-being.
Dream Images of Vulnerability
Common images and themes found in dreams that may relate to vulnerability are:
- Appearing naked or scantily clothed in a public or inhospitable environment.
- Being lost or wandering in a strange setting
- Breakdown of one’s vehicle
- A wounded or diseased body part
- Losing one’s wallet or purse
What Can Be Done
- Instead of forgetting or ignoring these upsetting images, reverence them as profound symbols with messages telling us to take care.
- A great way to mine the richness of the dream is to notice and appreciate these images by asking ourselves how they relate to what’s going on in our current life. For example, a loss of a wallet containing an ID card may relate to a sense of losing one’s identity, making us vulnerable to others’ control.
- We may even pray about the image, seeking guidance or healing about the issue. If insightful guidance comes, act on it!
- Observe if there are helpers in the dream. How are they helping? Are there persons in one’s waking life that are helping in a corresponding manner? This may also give clues to nature of the vulnerability. Are these helpers spiritual in nature, such as a guardian angel? Also, consider that these helpers may be aspects of oneself such as some talent or skill that could resolve a situation where one feels uncomfortable in waking life.